Friday, July 5, 2013

Remember your Inspiration

I recently returned from volunteering at a 4-H summer camp. If you are not familiar with 4-H, it is an organized youth development program that allows children in ages 9-18 take projects that are hands-on learning and geared towards real-life application. Projects range from sewing, model rockets to livestock projects that will be exhibited at the county fair. I have helped with this camp for 12 out of the last 15 years. It is a wonderful experience for all of those involved.

This year I found myself thinking about my first year there as a camp counselor. It was the summer between my Junior and Senior year of High School. I was in a cabin of 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade campers. I had a blast. I was so happy to see the kids having fun and I enjoyed helping them learn new things and meet new people. I didn't realize how happy I was until after all of the campers left. I stared around the empty and silent cabin. I was beside myself. I knew in that moment that I had to do something with my life that would put me in the presence of children all of the time. That was the moment I knew I wanted to be a teacher. I enjoyed the relationships with the kids and I enjoyed leading others and stepping up when leadership was needed.

I wanted to share this with you because in the midst of new legislation and mandates and summer we sometimes lose our way. We forget why we became educators; for the kids! Let's not get lost in all of it. You might think I'm crazy for spending my summer doing some of the same stuff that I would do during the school year, but let me tell you it has energized me for the coming year. OTES, OAA and SLO's be damned, I will start the  year remembering my inspiration. Although in August I may have to revisit this post myself to get that extra push to really get motivated for the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment