Tuesday, December 4, 2012

The Difference Between Search and Research

This post was inspired by Wendy Eiteljorg. She posted about teaching students about the difference between searching and researching a topic. This could not have been timed better. I read this post about a week before my students were going to start a research project about explorers. I had great intentions of teaching the best lesson on research EVER! It didn't go as well as planned, but just keep reading.

I started with my first group by using a T-chart to list some differences between search and research. I used examples like a dog fetching a ball and Trick or Treating and examining candy after Trick or Treat (both suggestions made by Wendy). It was great. We talked about how I LOVE Google, but not for research. We can't always trust everything we find on Google and Google doesn't give us the kind of information we need for research reports. It is great for finding quick answers (search). I love Google, I mean I am using the blogger platform after all, just not for kids doing research reports. And the Teacher of the Year award goes to ... Mr. Evans!

Then we get to the computer lab. I caught two students using Google to search for their explorers. Do I have to give my award back now?

I tried with the next class and I think it went better. I made the students tell me more about why they shouldn't use Google and why they should use INFOhio instead. I was surprised at how well they already understood the concept. We got to the computer lab. Nobody tried to use Google. SUCCESS!

I feel bad for my first group of students. I feel that I shortchanged them. I will continue to work with them on the differences, but I feel this is a good start.

I'll let you know when the award comes in the mail :)

No comments:

Post a Comment